Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - September 2014
Unveiled on 23 July 1922 by General Sir Charles Munro, 1st Baronet of Bearcrofts, GCB, GCSI, GCMG.
Location: Church of St John the Baptist, Brighton Road, Busbridge, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1XA.
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
If there was to be any place where it was natural for Lutyens to design a war memorial it would have to be in the Surrey village of Busbridge, the home of the celebrated garden designer Gertrude Jekyll, with whom he collaborated on a series of noted house and garden designs (see “Gardens of a Golden Afternoon” by Jane Brown).
Lutyens’s design is a minimalist tapered cross of Portland stone with an exceptionally thin cross section which he was to use in a number of variations elsewhere in the country. It stands on a coved base which is a typical Lutyens design feature that also appeared on a number of the tombs that he designed.
The churchyard that contains the war memorial also contains three graves designed by Lutyens. Jekyll herself rests in an enclosure filled with her favourite bergenias together with her brother and sister-in-law, whilst alongside are the graves of her mother Julia and Francis McLaren (see Memorial of the Month - August 2014).