Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - November 2015
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
As in so many other places throughout the country, there were many discussions in Northampton about the form that the memorial should take and where it should be placed. In due course, a site that was part of the churchyard of All Saints Church in the heart of the town was chosen and Lutyens was appointed as architect. Although his plans were approved in November 1920 the choice of site proved problematic due to the need to secure the necessary ecclesiastical consents and it was a further six years until the memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1926 by General Lord Horne.
The memorial is one of Lutyens’s finest -two obelisks with painted stone flags stand either side of a Stone of Remembrance. The treatment of the flags is particularly noteworthy for the way in which they are carved to take account of the moulding on the obelisks. Two sets of gates and stone pillars complete the ensemble. Unusally the Stone of Rembrance has two inscriptions - a quotation from the Wisdom of Solomon on one side and the more familar "Their Name Liveth For Evermore" on the other.
Location: Wood Hill, Northampton, NN1 2DA