Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - May 2015
Lancashire Fusiliers, Bury, Lancashire
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Lutyens had a family connection with the Lancashire Fusiliers: not only had his father served with the regiment but also his great uncle too (Major Englebert Lutyens was Napoleon’s Orderly Officer on St Helena). It was typical of Lutyens that, in such circumstances, he did not charge for his services.
The memorial is particularly noteworthy for its two splendid stone flags - the Union Flag and the regimental colours - both of which have gold ruffled fringes and tassles.
John Tinline, a local builder, made the memorial, which was unveiled on 25 April 1922 by Lieutenant-General Sir Beauvoir de Lisle, KCB, KCMG, DSO, Commander in Chief, Western Command. The date had a particular resonance for the regiment because, seven years earlier, it had been heavily involved in the Gallipoli Landings during which it earned the famous “Six VCs Before Breakfast”.
The memorial originally stood outside the regiment’s home, the Wellington Barracks on Bolton Road, and has been moved twice since. Firstly, in 1961 by 100 yards to accommodate a road widening scheme and, for a second time, in 2009 when it was positioned outside the new regimental museum in the town centre.
Location: In front of the Fusilier Museum, Moss Street, Bury, BL9 0DF