Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - January 2015
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
This simple memorial, with a bronze figure of
St. George on top of a Doric column, was constructed by Frank Johnson, a local builder. The statue was sculpted by Sir George Frampton RA, who is more widely known for his statue of Peter Pan and the memorial to Edith Cavell, both in London (Kensington Gardens and St Martin’s Place respectively).
St. George was a favourite subject of Frampton and appears on a number of war memorials with which he was involved, including the one at Hove (see November 2016), which is similar to Fordham.
There is no obvious connection between Lutyens and Fordham: the connection probably arose because of his work upon the Cenotaph but this is pure speculation.
The land upon which the memorial stands was donated to the village by a local resident, Mrs Dunn-Gardner who lived at Fordham Abbey. It was appropriate that she should therefore be asked to unveil the memorial, which took place on 7 August 1921.
Location: Carter Street, Fordham, Cambridgeshire, CB7 5NG
In one of the morse bizarre art thefts of recent times the memorial was “ram raided” in June 1991 and, with the column laying in pieces on the ground, thieves made off with the bronze St. George which, presumably, was melted down for scrap. A fibreglass copy was made by a local sculptor, Ronald Donaldson from Yaxley, near Peterborough, and the memorial was rebuilt at a cost of £4,750. It was rededicated by the Lord Bishop of Ely on 19 July 1992.