Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - December 2017
British Medical Association, London
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Lutyens had a particularly personal connection with the headquarters of the British Medical Association because he had designed it as the headquarters of the Theosophical Society, with which his wife Emily was deeply involved. Work had begun in 1911 but was suspended for the duration of the War, following which the Society was not in a position to complete the building and so sold it to the BMA.
Lutyens designed some delicate gates as a memorial to the fallen of the Association which were dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on 13 July 1925 on a day of celebration during which King George V and Queen Mary had formally opened BMA House.
Location: Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JP