Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - April 2016
Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
The discussion about whether a local war memorial should have a purely commemorative function or be of a practical purpose instead was a common point of discussion in towns and villages throughout the country. While many opted for a conventional memorial, a significant number of communities chose to have a building such as a village hall or, if greater funds were available, a cottage hospital.
Lutyens designed only one such building, where he adapted the stables adjoining the vicarage in Gerrards Cross for a community centre at the suggestion of the vicar, Revd John Matthew Glubb.
The conversion cost c£3,500 and the centre was opened on 14 October 1922 by Earl Carrington, the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.
Location: East Common, Gerrards Cross, SL9 7AD