Memorials Of The Great War
War Memorial Of The Month - April 2015
click on the images to enlarge
To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Like many of his small village war memorial crosses, Lutyens’s commission arose at Miserden as a result of work undertaken for a local landowner. In this case he had been engaged by Captain F N H Wills to rebuild the east wing of nearby Misarden Park following a fire in 1919.
The cross stands on a square base in a small garden opposite the Church of St Andrew. Unusually it is both signed and dated (VH 1920) and it is believed that it was made by one of the workers on Captain Wills’s estate.
Location: On unnamed road on the western edge of the village
Approx postcode GL6 7JA