To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Granite from Haytor on Dartmoor is the appropriate material for the large cross for the County of Devon, which stands in front of Exeter Cathedral. The suggestion to commemorate the dead from the whole county came from the Dean of Exeter in December 1918, who suggested that it should take the form of a cloister at the Cathedral. This was duly abandoned due to a shortage of funds and a Lutyens cross was chosen instead. The site in front of the cathedral is on the axis with the altar.
Metal railings were unfortunately added around the memorial in 2006, apparently due to vandalism and anti-social behaviour – which was not a problem with any of Lutyens’s other crosses.
The memorial was unveiled on 16 May 1921 by His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales.
Location: Cathedral Close, Exeter, EX1 1HS