To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
The memorial in the hamlet of Hartburn is another one of Lutyens’s simple war crosses (see September 2014 and April 2015) and lies at the heart of the village in Northumberland. It was donated by Mr and Mrs Frederic Straker of Angerton Hall nearby, for whom Lutyens had laid out the garden in conjunction with Gertrude Jekyll in 1904.
The cross was built by a local mason Mr J Robinson of Clay House, Meldon and unveiled by Colonel E P A Riddell CMG, DSO, the commander of the Northumberland Infantry Brigade on 31 July 1921.
As well as the dates of the two wars it contains a simple inscription “Pass Friend All Is Well”, a phrase used by sentries on guard duty.
Location: On the B6343 Approximate postcode NE64 4JB