To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Similar to Lutyens’s memorial in Fordham (see January 2015), the Hove memorial was the architect’s third design for the memorial in Hove. He initially proposed a replica of the Cenotaph and a mock-up was erected on Hove Lawns, but it was rejected along with his subsequent suggestion for an obelisk. The site was chosen by Lutyens in preference to ones in St John’s Road and at the junction of Grand Avenue and Church Road, about 100 yards from the present site.
The column is made of granite and the bronze figure of St George firmly grasping the blade of the sword in his hand was sculpted by Sir George Frampton. The memorial cost £1,537 and was unveiled on 27 February 1921 by Lord Leconfield, the Lord Lieutenant of Sussex. Lutyens was in India at the time and his office manager, A J Thomas, deputised for him at the ceremony.
Location: Grand Parade, Hove, Sussex, BN3 2LF