To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
Like the other regimental memorials designed by Lutyens, the commissioning of the Memorial to The Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment seems to have been straightforward. The regiment was one of two that decided that it wanted a smaller scale reproduction of the Cenotaph in Whitehall (the Royal Berkshire regiment was the other) although they did not want any provision for flags – either stone or silk. The memorial is two-thirds of the size of the original.
It was built by a local firm, Messrs G E Wallis and Sons, and was unveiled on 30 July 1921 by Major General Sir Edmund Leach KCB, the Colonel of the Regiment. The dedication was performed by the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Location: Brenchley Gardens, Station Road, Maidstone ME14 1LH