To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
In 1916 a hospital was established in Richmond Park to provide treatment as necessary for the South African troops serving on the Western Front. Two years later it merged with the nearby Richmond Military Hospital to become the South African Military Hospital. Thirty-nine of those who died were buried in a separate section of the nearby Richmond Cemetery and Lutyens was commissioned to design a suitable memorial to them. Made from granite and somewhat stark in appearance with only minimum decoration – two carvings of the head of a springbok and simple inscriptions in English and Dutch – the memorial was unveiled by General Jan Smuts on 30 June 1921.
The memorial is mistakenly described in a number of books about Lutyens as being in Richmond, South Africa rather than in south-west London.
Location: Richmond Cemetery, Lower Grove Road, Richmond, London, TW10 5BJ