To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
British Thomson-Houston, which was part of General Electric, commissioned Lutyens to design a memorial to stand outside their factory in Rugby. It takes the form of one of his standard war crosses but standing on a large circular base, which was necessary to carry the names of the 243 employees who died in the war. It was built by J Parnell and Son Ltd, a local company, who worked with Lutyens on a number of other memorials and houses and whose archive, with details of some of the Lutyens work, is at the University of Warwick. The memorial was unveiled on 29 October 1921 by Field Marshall Sir William Robertson.
Closure of the factory and redevelopment of the site led to the memorial being relocated to a nearby site c400m away where it was rededicated on 22 July 2010.
Location: Technology Drive, Rugby, CV21 1AR