To protect and promote the spirit and substance of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens OM
The discussion about whether a local war memorial should have a purely commemorative function or be of a practical purpose instead was a common point of discussion in towns and villages throughout the country. While many opted for a conventional memorial, a significant number of communities chose to have a building such as a village hall or, if greater funds were available, a cottage hospital.
Lutyens designed only one such building, where he adapted the stables adjoining the vicarage in Gerrards Cross for a community centre at the suggestion of the vicar, Revd John Matthew Glubb.
The conversion cost c£3,500 and the centre was opened on 14 October 1922 by Earl Carrington, the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.
Location: East Common, Gerrards Cross, SL9 7AD